Tuesday, April 28, 2020

[137-ENG] Review: The Selkie's Coat - Drea Roman

Drea Roman
Series: Waves of Fate
Volume: 1/?
Publisher: -
Genre/s: Omegaverse, MM romance, Mpreg
Length: -
Pages: 266

Read in: English
Review copy format: mobi
Rate:✮✮✮✬✰



One, for an average person insignificant, event changes the life of Gregory, a selkie, and Daniel, a human omega, completely. They know nothing about each other, they have never met before, but fate decided to bring them together. The problem is that the way fate works doesn't go hand-in-hand with Gregory's gallantry and Daniel's countless questions and doubts. And as we all know, this is an easiest way to find problems where they weren't supposed to be.


"The Selkie's Coat" is the first volume of the brand new series by Drea Roman entitled "Waves of Fate". In my opinion, it is very characteristic that this novel focuses fully on romance, which is the main axis of the plot and also its development. Like a bush trunk surrounded by numerous branches growing from the very bottom to the top. However, I want to mention that despite the largely monothematic structure of "The Selkie's Coat", the reader doesn't feel bored with the novel. On the contrary. The author managed to build the novel in such a way that from the beginning to the end we are constantly interested in our characters' love story. I admit that this type of book structure surprised me a bit at first, but I liked it very much because Drea Roman managed to keep our interest at the same level throughout entire book, and it definitely wasn't an easy task.

I believe that not less surprising was the way in which at the beginning of the story the author introduced Gregory as a shapeshifter. What I mean exactly is that he and his seal seem to be two separate entities, even though they live in one body. It caught my eye immediately because we don't really see anything like this in novels about shapeshifters. Therefore, this type of approach to the topic was something really unexpected, but at the same time very original and undeniably interesting. However, what I think is the most important in this case is that the theme of Gregory's dualism is developed and explained as the story unfolds. Thanks to all that this really interesting theme gets even better because Gregory's case is not the author's whim, but is closely related to the character's psyche. My only regret is that Drea Roman didn't write more about this issue, because thanks to this motif she really aroused my interest in her shapeshifters.

Another thing that truly touched and amazed me is Daniel himself. I have to admit that Drea Roman once again managed to positively surprise me with "The Selkie's Coat". But let's get back to the point. Well, it turns out that Daniel, who is a human omega, doesn't feel comfortable in his own skin, doesn't understand and "feel" his "second sex", as I call being alpha, beta or omega. This is one really fantastic motif and I regret that it wasn't thoroughly developed in the novel, because it is strongly connected with the character's psyche and his feelings. I'll be honest, I understand Daniel. To some extent, his doubts and lack of full self-acceptance are very close to me. It is not enough to "give" a man a body and leave them with it saying "take it and love it". Drea Roman in her novel raised a topic that is usually overlooked, and which presented from the perspective of a man who is an omega perfectly reflects the problem of sexuality, which is marginalized. We don't have to reject our body to have problems with understanding it.

However, I admit that Daniel was also a character who was able to get on my nerves. Why? Because he is extremely undecided (he reminds me of myself, and that's quite terrifying). The problem with Daniel is that this young man constantly "believes but doubts." I admit that it is fully understandable in his situation, but at the same time he's a bit annoying. Daniel believes Gregory, but at the same time doubts his words, believes in fated mates, but doubts their existence, doesn't believe but believes in myths about selkies. And that's how it works with almost everything in his case. Let's add that each "believe but doubt" issue is followed by a certain dose of drama. So if I were to give someone the drama queen's crown, I would give it to Daniel.


To sum up, "The Selkie's Coat" is an interesting novel in which, apart from romance, we can find really important and worth considering topics. There are also fantastic, lovable characters who make reading this story even more fun. So in my opinion, "The Selkie's Coat" is really worth reading.



Headcanon: Regardless of the weather, Gregory and Daniel go for walks every evening.

Fanfiction idea: For their half-year anniversary, Gregory gives Daniel a bundle of vouchers he made himself. There are vouchers for kiss, hug, sex, etc. Daniel has a month to use them.

AU idea: Hogwarts!AU, Gregory (Hufflepuff) wants to ask Daniel (Gryffindor) on a date during an assembly, but he is so stressed that instead of asking quietly, he speaks so loudly that the entire Great Hall can hear him.



______________________________________

Hosted by Gay Romance Reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment